Frequently Asked Questions
1. Q. How often do I need to get the portable fire extinguisher(s) in my business inspected and certified?
A.In Alberta, portable fire extinguishers must be inspected and certified annually by a trained and certified technician.
2. Q. How often do I need to get my restaurant kitchen suppression system inspected and certified?
A.In Alberta, restaurant kitchen suppression systems must be inspected and certified semi-annually by a certified technician.
3. Q. How often do I need to get my fire alarm system inspected and certified?
A.In Alberta, fire alarm systems must be inspected and certified annually by a trained and certified technician.
4. Q. Are all portable fire extinguishers effective for all types of fires?
A.No. Always check the label located on your fire extinguisher, it will describe which types of fires it will safely extinguish.
5. Q. Are there different classes of fires? If so, what are they?
A.Yes, there are five different classes of fires, Class A, Class B, Class C, Class D and Class K.
Class A fires involve ordinary combustibles, for example wood, paper and trash.
Class B fires involve flammable liquids such as oil, solvents and gasoline.
Class C fires involve energized electrical equipment such as televisions, computers and fuse boxes.
Class D fires involve combustible metals such as magnesium and sodium
Class K fires involve cooking oils used in commercial kitchens
6. Q. I have a fire extinguisher in my home, do I need to get it inspected?
A.In Alberta, the fire code does not contain any regulations in regards to portable fire extinguishers in the home. We suggest that if you have a portable fire extinguisher in your home that you get it inspected annually by a certified technician.
7. Q. If I purchase a fire extinguisher for my home will I get a discount on my home insurance?
A.Some insurance companies will give homeowners a discount on home insurance if they purchase and maintain a portable fire extinguisher. Contact your insurance company for details.
8. Q. Are all fire extinguishers refillable?
A.No. Some fire extinguishers are considered disposable. If the label on the fire extinguisher states “one time use only” or if the head of the extinguisher is made of plastic, it cannot be refilled.
9. Q. Do fire extinguishers come in different sizes and types?
A.Yes. Fire extinguishers come in all different sizes. The size and type of extinguisher you will require depends upon the level and types of hazards in the area it will be protecting. If you are not sure what size or type of extinguisher you require, one of our certified technicians will be happy to assist you.
10. Q. How do I use a portable fire extinguisher?
A.The operating instructions for each fire extinguisher are clearly visible on the fire extinguisher label. Always consult the instructions prior to operating a fire extinguisher. For information on fire extinguisher training please visit our training page.